Upholstery is an essential part of any household or office decor. Whether it’s a sofa, chair, or any other piece of furniture, it can make a room look inviting and comfortable. However, upholstery also requires proper care and maintenance to keep it looking its best. This blog is all about “The Ultimate Guide to Upholstery Care and Maintenance”. You can follow these for the long life of your upholstery.
Here’s the ultimate guide to upholstery care and maintenance:
- Vacuum Regularly: Regular vacuuming is crucial to maintaining your upholstery. Dust, dirt, and debris can settle on your upholstery, making it look dull and dingy. Use a soft-bristled brush attachment to gently vacuum the surface of the fabric, removing any debris that may have settled.
- Spot Clean Spills Immediately: Accidents happen, and spills are inevitable. When a spill occurs, it’s important to act quickly. Blot the spill immediately with a clean, dry cloth. Do not rub the stain, as this can cause it to spread. Use a mild cleaning solution to treat the stain, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Test Cleaning Products First: Always test any cleaning product on a small, inconspicuous area of the upholstery first. This will help you avoid any potential damage to the fabric. Wait for the test area to dry completely before proceeding with the cleaning process.
- Avoid Harsh Cleaning Products: Harsh cleaning products can damage your upholstery. Avoid using bleach, ammonia, or any other cleaning products that contain harsh chemicals. Stick to mild, fabric-safe cleaners that are designed specifically for upholstery.
- Rotate Cushions Regularly: To prevent uneven wear and tear, rotate the cushions on your furniture regularly. This will help distribute the weight evenly, preventing one area from becoming more worn than the others.
- Protect from Sunlight: Sunlight can fade upholstery over time. To prevent this, try to keep your furniture out of direct sunlight. If this is not possible, use window coverings to block the sun’s rays.
- Keep Pets Off: Pets can cause damage to upholstery, especially if they scratch or chew on the fabric. To prevent this, try to keep pets off your furniture. If this is not possible, consider using a protective cover.
- Professional Cleaning: Even with regular care and maintenance, upholstery can still become dirty over time. Professional couch cleaning is recommended every 12 to 18 months, depending on use. A professional cleaning will remove deep-seated dirt and grime, leaving your upholstery looking like new.
- Follow Manufacturer’s Instructions: Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when caring for your upholstery. Different fabrics require different cleaning methods, and failure to follow these instructions could damage your furniture.
By following these tips, you can keep your upholstery looking its best for years to come. Regular care and maintenance will not only keep your furniture looking great, but it will also extend its lifespan, saving you money in the long run.
How fabric Scotchgard protection can help in upholstery care and maintenance?
Scotchgard is a brand name for a fabric protector that helps to repel liquids and stains from upholstery and other textiles. Scotchgard works by creating a barrier between the fabric fibres and spills, preventing them from being absorbed and making it easier to clean up any spills or stains that do occur. Here are some of the benefits of using Scotchgard on upholstery:
- Stain protection: Scotchgard forms a protective barrier around the fibres of the fabric, preventing spills and stains from penetrating deep into the fabric. This makes it easier to clean up any spills before they can cause permanent damage to the upholstery.
- Easy maintenance: Since Scotchgard repels liquids, it makes it easier to clean your upholstery. This means that you won’t have to spend as much time and effort cleaning up spills and stains, which can save you time and money in the long run.
- Long-lasting: Scotchgard protection can last for years, depending on the amount of use the upholstery receives. This means that you won’t have to reapply the protection as frequently, which can also save you money.
- Preserves the fabric’s appearance: Scotchgard can help to preserve the appearance of your upholstery by preventing stains from setting in and causing discolouration or other damage to the fabric.
It’s important to note that Scotchgard protection is not foolproof, and spills and stains can still occur. However, using Scotchgard can provide an extra layer of protection and make it easier to maintain the appearance of your upholstery.
Either you can follow these tips or you can hire a professional upholstery cleaning company to take care of your upholstery. You should be especially careful when your upholstery suffers pet accidents and urine accidents.